I had one of those pesky coupons at Jo-Ann’s Fabric that would give me $10 off of a $50 purchase. My purchase at the register was $41 at the time. I looked at the coupon, looked at the grumpy cashier, and looked at the line, and grabbed a pattern off the shelf near the register that I’d been eyeing while in line. It was marked $9.95. Effectively it was free with the coupon. I’ll rant about coupons another day…Anyway…. The pattern sat on my shelf until today. I bought some fabric on sale at Ikea a few weeks ago. It was $2.99 a yard for 60″width 100% cotton canvas. (I used about a yard of it for this apron.) I prewashed and started cutting and sewing. I like the apron and I liked the pattern. I don’t sew much from patterns because I like to make my own, but having this pattern saved me the hassle, and I don’t think I would’ve thought of the stripey pieceing on my own. I probably would’ve made a more basic butcher style apron left to my own devices.
Instead of a hook and loop closure on the back, I made a button hole and button closure. I made my own bias tape from the main fabric rather that using purchased bias tape which the pattern called for ( I didn’t have matching bias tape lying around, I didn’t want to go shopping for it, and the amount needed was easy to cut from fabric on hand) And I would have liked more specificity on which side of the pocket piece was up – I sewed it wrong the first time assuming the wide end was the opening. It’s not.
Other than that little oversight, it was fun to sew, and I imagine it’ll be fun to wear. I need an apron to wear for oil painting class so I don’t get paint all over myself.
I like an apron with a front bib, pockets, and not too many ties and ruffles. This one fits the bill. Not too bad for a last minute grab at the fabric store.